ReLi-ion will establish an integrated collection and recycling value chain to provide a diversified and steady collection and recycling value chain in East and South-East Europe. Key beneficiaries are Lithium Batteries (LIB) manufacturers, (CRM) waste collection and treatment facilities, policymakers and public authorities particularly related to green mobility.
ReLi-ion aims to:
Transfer a state-of-the-art LIB recycling technology mix to Eastern and Southern European (ESSE) recyclers, improving the EU supply of secondary CRMs and closing the loop for EV value chains.
Develop an integrated B2B collection, treatment, and supply network for LIB CRMs, to support EU LIB manufacturers, bolstering the European battery recycling value chain.
Establish a collaborative R&D University-Business Cooperation platform that will a) act as a commercialisation vehicle for the project to translate its R&D results into larger projects for which additional capital will be attracted and b) diffuse and support with further R&D the project-promoted technologies to businesses beyond the partnership.
- Increased LIB recycling capacity in the ESEE region
- ~7% improvement of selected waste stream (NMC and LFP) treatment efficiency
- ~60% of NMC and LFP waste supply increased availability in the ReLi-ion countries
- ~10% of materials gain for Li and Co CRMs during the project as a result of the ReLi-ion improved recycling capacity.
- 7-10% recycling capacity increase and supply chain build-up during the project duration
- Showcasing of the ReLi-ion innovative recycling approach, tailored to the partnership operators’ existing capacities, in order to efficiently treat mixed NMC and LFP waste in the same recycling process. In addition to waste treatment, partners will demonstrate CRM recovery capacities according to the ReLi-ion technology practices, documenting recycling gains.
- Identifying market needs and opportunities in consortium countries, through mapping the situation regarding Li-ion battery waste supply and CRM demand in each ESEE participating country and matchmaking and liaising with key actors in territorial LIB recycling value chains.
- Expanding the potential for industrial LIB recycling potential and the overall business case of the project, through the development of a detailed commercialization strategy to facilitate the transition to full-scale commercial diffusion of the ReLi-ion technology. The project will conclude with the partnership’s exploration for further commercialization avenues for the project, as well as capitalization on R&D project results.
- 4 Research Organizations, 4 waste management authorities, and >20 researchers trained in the ReLi-ion approach
- ~15 successful B2B partnerships/matches established during the project duration (with EPR organizations, collectors, end-customers, strategic research partners)
- ~80 key value chain actors (including LIB manufacturers, CRM buyers, traders, collectors, waste management authorities, financiers) from the ESEE area participating in business matchmaking events; over 1500 reached through dissemination activities
- Over 100 potential EIT RawMaterials partners mapped in consortium countries
- 10 national public authorities with increased awareness of investment and policy barriers for implementing LIB recycling in PL, GR, SI, CZ
- 4 training seminars in 4 ESSE countries (PL, GR, SI, CZ), with at least 80 participants expected in total (2023).
- 4 matchmaking events organized in 2023 in PL, GR, SI, CZ, attracting min 80 participants.